Thursday, January 24, 2008

A play with two actors as their own audience.

Imagine sitting at a table in a coffee shop, across from a friend. But he isn't your friend at the moment, but rather a stranger. And you aren't yourself, but rather an actress in a play, a play you know nothing about. But here you are, and stage directions come from the headphones on your head. You are in a scene, and each line and movement is fed to you and you do them, and your partner also hears things on his headphones, but something different from you and does them as well. But the actions and words all go together and create a play where only you two are the audience and only you two are the actors.

The play is "Etiquette" and it is playing at the Veselka Restaurant until January 31st. I would recommend it to all of you, but it is sold out for the remainder of the run. However, you can try going at midnight, because I guess they don't take reservations for those. I read a little blurb about Etiquette and it completely fascinated me, and so Rus and I tromped down to this Ukrainian restaurant in the East Village and sat down across from each other. After a moment of instructions, we put on the headphones and nodded that we were ready. And the house lights went down and suddenly, there we were, following directions. It was disorienting and fascinating and one of the most interesting experiences I have had. At first, I was self conscious, and couldn't help but get unexpected giggles because it was so strange, but I managed to compose myself into a serious actress (although i couldn't keep my brow furrowed for an entire scene as I had been instructed by the British voice over my headphones). We had little props on the table, little figurines and sticky tack and water. At one point, I poured water around my eyes to make it look as if I were crying. Really, I can't describe it very well because it is something that is almost completely in your head. The voice tells you what to do and what to say, and then cuts away and is telling you how you are feeling embarrassed, but you are also incredibly aware of what is going on. What is also interesting is that while you re paying attention to the person across from you, your experiences are divergent because they are hearing something completely different.

Wow. Amazing experience. And so strange.

1 comment:

Sarita said...

Sounds seriously interesting. The things we miss not living in NY. I bet you got a standing ovation.