Monday, January 7, 2008

Day 7: Other people

First of all, the weather here in New York today was BEAUTIFUL! 53 degrees. I wore a sweater outside and I was hot. It. was. wonderful.

So, April and I went for a long walk, through the park, down the street, to a cafe, to the cemetery, past a cookie factory, over the river and through the woods to grandmothers house. Okay, maybe not that last part. But we had a delightful walk in the sunshine. On the way, we found this picture frame, and since Emily and I collect picture frames (why buy when you can find them on the street?) I picked this one up. A lovely blue color, but a bit dirty. But was the frame empty? oh no, it had a newspaper article from July 11th, 1982, titled "The "white priestess", arts and mysticism" and picture of a woman with an altar with a real human skull. It was about this woman, Caro Heller, who was an artist/voodoo expert (and, might I add, a trim brunette 5 foot 5 with hazel eyes? the article makes that clear) and made all sorts of crazy sculptures with ideas she got from traveling to Haiti (ideas were crazy, not that they came from Haiti). Anyways, I carried this picture frame all over New York with me, and then, it cracked and I had to throw it away. i think it may have been possessed.

We walked by a building with an incredible sweet smell wafting out of it, and asked a passing mail carrier what it was. It was a cookie factory run by Hassidic Jews. It was totally delightful, except that they didn't offer us any cookie samples. But otherwise they were quite nice and we could smell the deliciousness for blocks.

On the train we saw a vampire couple. Okay, maybe they weren't really vampires (though I will not guarantee that statement), but they were kind of dressed like that and the lady had these really crazy cool eyes that were like cat eyes (color wise). The best part? They were really kissy face and said "I love you" to each other so tenderly. i am so glad that they found each other.

Lucky for me, April happened to remember that David Eggers was speaking tonight at the 92nd St Y, and so we trekked up there and met up with Emily to go to the reading with him and this woman named Chamanda something (also an author). He read from "What is the What" and now I am going to promote that book: It is so GOOD! Seriously, I think that everyone should read it. 1) You will understand the conflict in the Sudan so much better, and that is important. But it isn't like going to a lecture on the Sudan or watching a documentary, it is a really engaging, beautifully written memoir about a Lost Boy who had to leave his family at the age of 6 or 7 when his village was burned. You will learn things and not even realize it. 2) It is a fascinating story. People get eaten by lions, he falls in love, rivers are crossed and alligators eat people, people ride in planes for the first time... it is an action packed book and it is all real. This is a biography/novel, so all of the things that happen actually did happen. As I read it, I could not believe what Valentino had survived. 3) It is an incredibly moving and sad book. It made me cry, but in a good way. it is so well written and gives such a good glimpse of the life of this boy, and so many others like him. 4) it is motivating. Go volunteer with refugees. 5) Proceeds from buying the book go to a foundation to build schools. 6)If none of those other reasons convince you, this is just one really well written, interesting, compelling book. Even if you don't like to read. Seriously. I wish I could write like that.

Finally, the evening concluded with this classy little old lady in the bathroom-- tiny, with huge round glasses (bifocals, she told us), and quite the outfit (she designs her own clothing) including a hat. I want to be just like her when I grow up. hopefully I shrink to 4'7".

I really, really love people. Today was one of those days that I just wished that my eyes were cameras that could take pictures of everyone that I saw so i could show you.

3 comments:

Sarita said...

I wish my eyes were cameras as well as yours. I actually think that quite often. People are great. You are good people.

Bridget said...

It sounds so beautiful! I too wish that my eyes were cameras as well. You are great to see so much beauty. Once again I want to be where you are!

sun moon rainbow farmer said...

Thanks for the lovely day Sweet Suvi. I really enjoy living so near to such a wonderful friend. See you soon.