Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Doing it in the Park. Doing it after dark.

DANCING. I don't know what you were thinking about.

New Year's Eve always has this heavy responsibility of being amazing, and never, ever lives up to expectations. So, this year I pretty much made no plans, and had no expectations, and ended up having a fabulous New Year's Eve. I read most of the day (What is the What by David Eggers-- so, so good). I then went by myself to the Peace concert at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine, this massive building in Harlem, for this beautiful, free concert, with the New York Philharmonic, opera singers, and a number of other local artists. With the vaulted stone ceilings, the music echoed down from the ceiling to surround us with sound. You know, i really enjoyed the music and thinking about peace for the coming year. It was a good period of reflection. Not to worry, however, I didn't spend all evening alone, I went and met up with April and Michael (and Karem and TJ and Beky and Kristi) and we went to the rockin' new Year's evening celebration right here in my own hood, at Prospect Park. Free hot cocoa and a funk band, all sorts of people from the community and fireworks, and best of all, James Brown Jr. gyrating his hips to ring in the new year. Hot dog. it was awesome. To end a lovely evening, i went to April, Michael and Beky's and played scrabble until 3 am. No new years kiss this year, but I had plenty last year and it didn't get me anywhere, so I figure this new year is probably better.

So I am excited for the new year. I know that it is just another day, and in no way should change things. But. I don't know, i have this really excited feeling for this upcoming year. in 2008, there'll be no hate. 2008 the year to date and find a mate so i can procreate, but not fornicate. Hmm, maybe I won't take that as a theme. I'm feeling more like 2008, the year to create. Speaking of creating, a resolution I have is a plan for the most amazing January ever, and that entails creating. I have three weeks of nothing planned, three glorious weeks and a list a mile long floating around in my head. I have stories to write and pictures to paint and topics to research. So excited. I love this lovely life. I am so excited for this new year. Everything and anything is possible.

1 comment:

sun moon rainbow farmer said...

Oh Suvi, you "make a sister wanna do the robot." It was so wonderful spending New Year's with you. I had so much fun scrabbling with some of my most favorite girls. Congrats on your 2008 Board Game victory.