Saturday, January 5, 2008

Day 5: I've been outed.

So, my fine blog-reading friends, I've been outed. Beware of what you write on the internet, on this innocuous little blog that I was convinced people wouldn't read and would be a safe space for my random pontifications, on say, a certain obsession with Ira Glass and the young man who resembled him. Yeah, you think you are safe with the internet shrouding your identity, and then one day, you are having a pleasant conversation at the end of a lovely evening with the aforementioned young man and he brings up Ira Glass. And you choke on your cranberry juice, and turn the color of the juice you are choking on. At least that is what happens to me. Turns out that a friend of his (ahem, Tim) happened to forward him my blog, especially entries that seemed to reference him. I've been outed.

Goes to show you, the internet is NOT a safe place and BE CAREFUL what and who you write about. Because they may actually read it. But you know, I guess I wrote those things knowing that, and that is what makes having a blog so exciting. You send your voice out into the universe and want people to read what you have to say, and you share personal things, things that are funny or profound or nonsenscial, but just whatever it is that you want to send out, and there is a rush knowing that someone is reading these silly little words that I write, without me actually having to say it directly to them. And people who you never thought would hear you, listen. I admit it, i read some blogs and find out about people, about their thoughts and what they are going through that I wouldn't otherwise know or think to ask. I've also found people who are incredibly shy in person to be really funny on their blogs. Despite my embarrassment this evening over being caught writing about someone on my blog, I will continue to write what I want to. This is simply me, edited in the way that I want you to see me.

And for you, Ira Glass boy, I apologize for writing about you on my blog if an apology is necessary, but I don't think that it is, because I think that secretly you may have found it flattering that I wrote about you. Thanks for a fun night and an education in improv. The more I get to know you, the less I will have to make up to write about you for the blog.

2 comments:

Cammie said...

Suvi, you are soooo cute. I love your honesty and think this could be a scene from a movie.

from a previous post. . .Huckabee?? I was surprised too. That was a fun post! I had fun talking with Bridget and Richard about the results. . .I really hadn't imagined.

Meghan said...

Did I ever tell you the story of the time I wrote I had a crush on someone on the Internet, on some obscure web site and then said crush stumbled upon the web site and found out? That was like junior year of HS and I am cringing and blushing about it right now, 11 years later.

The Internets can be dangerous but you have not written anything mean about anyone or talked about how much you hate your boss (err, adviser, I guess?)