Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Day 2. more art! yes!

This really is turning up to quite the most amazing January. Day two was spend lounging in bed in the morning doing some reading for my Sunday School (we start the Book of Mormon this year, and I am really excited-- all are welcome to attend-- Park Slope ward at 11 am). After making my oatmeal, I then sat down on my computer to work on a short story that I started about a month ago but haven't had a chance to do much with. i'm really excited about this story-- it is a little bit dark and somewhat based on actual events, but takes kind of a strange turn. I think I'll call it "the Love Story Thief" because it is about this woman who is obsessed with recording people's love stories and stealing them to make them her own. There is a lot more to it, and I hope I can put pen to paper and make it flow in a coherent way, or rather, fingers to keyboard. You will see it when it is done (which will hopefully be by the end of the month).

In any case, got some writing done and then headed off to the MoMA with Andrew from Wagner. Hooray for Andrew, he got us in for free because he has a friend who works there. Seriously a good way to spend a Wednesday afternoon, wandering about this incredible museum.





There was an amazing exhibit by Martin Puryear that just blew my mind-- he makes these huge sculptures out of wood, and really is very talented. He also uses other materials, such as wire and mesh and rawhide, but the wood sculptures were the most impressive to me, maybe because wood just really speaks to me. I loved how the things that he made seemed so fluid and round compared to the upright trees that they came from. Some of the items that he made seemed almost like cages (most of his work was hollow) and I thought of how much fun I would've had as a kid sticking a sibling or friend inside and pretending to be a witch. One of the pieces reminded me of the work of a talented artist friend of mine, Ben Howell, who took an entire room in Damian's house and filled it with pieces of wood attached at 90 degree angles. it took him 9 months but the end result was an impressive space filled with wood and at the same time not full at all. It is fun to know creative friends like that. That reminds me, i did an interview with Ben a few months ago for my podcast and still have yet to edit it (and still have yet to set the podcast up. both projects for January).

Andrew was delightful company on this adventure. Now he is off to north Carolina to hang out with cousins and then to Mexico. lucky dude.

I thought I would call it a night, but then my old friend Kirk called me up to go to a comedy show. Since I am on vacation, I figured why not? We didn't make it to the comedy show, but we did end up at Momofuku in the east village, which is a super yummy noodle bar. It was good to hang out with Kirk again, I've seen him every once in a while these last few years, but not much since moving from Provo. He is now in my 'hood (we share the 7th Ave subway stop!) and it'll be nice to see more of that kid. And, hopefully we'll do some creative projects together!

So now I'm home, hanging out with Emily. So glad to be inside instead of outside-- as I walked to the subway station tonight, I got a brain-freeze from being in the wind. it is that cold. I'll be sleeping with the electric blanket on hot tonight! Tomorrow come the Iowa primaries, and I am excited/nervous to see what will happen there!

1 comment:

Ellyn Canfield said...

Suvi, you adventures thus far sound entirely apropos and fabulous. I was thinking of checking out that Richard Prince exhibit myself. I am SO glad you are getting to have fun, and feed your soul and the part of your mind that doesn't calculate Net Book Value. HAVE FUN and I can't wait to see you soon!