Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Return of the Summer Child

Officially, it is still springtime, but for me, with school over and Memorial day now past, it is officially summertime (come on weather, won't you just cooperate?). And while I have many tasks to accomplish (first and foremost finding a job), I still love the fact that it is summer and am already starting to feel in my element (warm weather = happy suvi). No more boring picture posts! From here on out, only adventure tales that will make you jealous (it's my blog, i can say what I want to).

The official start to summer adventures was this last weekend. On a whim, i decided to join my friend Hailey on a sailing trip to Catalina Island over Memorial Day weekend. Done with school and not quite ready to face reality, i figured a trip on a sailboat with people i didn't know would be just what i needed, but not too overwhelming as I feared Duck beach might be (props to Frances and others who braved the enormous mormon singles party! I hope you had plenty of chaste make-out sessions!). My friend Sarah just moved to LA to pursue love, so I was able to spend some QT with her. Luckily, she works from home, which meant that we spent the day on the Santa Monica beach. Now, i'm an east coast gal, and like most adopted New Yorkers I'm too cool for LA due to the traffic and buildings and fake boobs. But, i have to say, i really liked it! There is something to be said about living by the beach (and Brighton Beach doesn't count). In any case, I love hanging out with Sarah because whenever we talk, it's like we are solving the mysteries of the universe and especially of love. We caught up on stories of Dating Girl (sometimes, it seems like successful dating requires a superpower) and her exploits, analyzing the evolution of our own internal superheros. Then Hailey arrived from SLC and it was such a treat to spend time with these two amazing friends of mine and meet Sarah's love-interest. The perfect way to prepare for a weekend with strangers.

(I took absolutely no pictures the entire trip, but will post some once i get them from friends. There were too many cameras already onboard).

So Friday morning, we wake up early to go to the marina. I'm nervous, and hailey has to tell me it will be okay and people will like me and no one will throw me overboard. I quickly discover that this is true, because I was on a boat with some of the nicest and funnest people in the world. And on a sailboat! On the blue blue ocean! It was a bit windy which made it cold, but i just loved staring out at the water and the distant land. Basically, the weekend was spent reading (mystery novels!), napping, sunning, hiking, eating, dancing, fishing, cuddling and talking with new friends. Okay, that is a lot of stuff, but relaxing, non-school or work related stuff. Real and true vacation stuff.

Some favorite memories:

Discovering Ferris' book titled "How to make someone fall in love with you in 90 minutes" and watching him put it into action the whole trip.

The dance club room on Al's boat, nothing like 15 people jammed into a little room on a boat dancing their hearts out. Also, the stripper pole on our boat. Heyo!

Talking the girls into skinny dipping off the back of the boat while everyone else (minus James) was on shore. And then James going because he needed to earn his hot chocolate. And then Charite deciding she didn't want to be left out and jumping in and then rushing out as we noticed the rapidly approaching boat light bringing everyone else home.

Catching mackeral off the side of the boat. With bread. I was an amazing fisher-woman and caught 8!

James, our captain, catching a shark! Yes, a real shark with sharp teeth. He hooked it on the way back home, and had an epic struggle with it, but alas, the shark got away just as we were going to rope him up. Which is probably a good thing, since there were 11 people and 2 dogs on this boat and a shark has a lot of teeth. plus, we would've had to hang it from the mast to drain the blood, and I wasn't really looking forward to hanging out on a blood-splattered deck (could you just imagine the reaction pulling up to the marina again?).

Seeing a pile of seals on a buoy cuddling together and pushing each other off.

Being rocked to sleep by the boat.

Dancing until my ribs hurt (which actually didn't take too long).

Simply having some good conversations with some fun and interesting people. And laughing a lot.

Let me just say that this was one of the best trips I have ever been on. it was so relaxing and exactly what i needed and everyone on the boat got along really well. I couldn't have asked for a better trip. I can't wait for next year!

5 comments:

Jackie and Zy said...

I've been waiting for this post and the report from the weekend. So glad you had a good time!

scout said...

it sounds so perfectly amazing Suvi! I'm so glad you had such a great time on a much needed and deserved vacation.

Laura said...

And I thought watching wrangler-butt cowboys branding calves was fun. Your trip sounded beautiful and romantic (and nude? You Finns can't keep your clothes on :). I'm really happy it is summer too.

Sarah Stout said...

Wow... so much in so short a time! I'm excited to see where the summer takes the summer child and what adventures await. Are you planning on remaining in NYC then?

Sarah Stout said...

P.S. I need your address to send you a wedding announcement. When you get the chance, email it to sarahisateacher@gmail.com. Thanks! :)