Sunday, May 17, 2009

LDS chapel fire in Cambridge, MA

I just found out that the church building where I attended church while living in Boston burned down this morning. There was a 3 alarm fire, and from news reports so far, it looks like it will have to be rebuilt completely. for more information, go here.

The fire started in the middle of stake conference, and so the chapel was full of people. Luckily, no one was hurt. My thoughts and prayers go out to the congregation there in the Longfellow Park wards. I'm really saddened by this news, not just because it is an LDS chapel, but because of the years I spent there worshipping, feeling the spirit, and learning about my God. It is the ward I attended each week, riding the bus through Boston each Sunday for an hour to get to church with the other singles in the area. On sunny days, i would wander through Cambridge along the Charles River, watching rowers. I remember so many hot days, with the Relief Society room full of people, with the doors and windows open for some sort of breeze to pass through. It was in that ward that I decided to serve a mission, and where I felt the Lord working in my life and on my heart so I would have the desire to serve Him, switching it from one path to a completely different one. It is a place where my sisters also attended church and had sacred experiences. What a beautiful place that is to me! And how grateful I am for those experiences that I and so many others were able to have there. While saddened by this event, I know that another generation of LDS students will soon make another building equally special and beautiful, and Cambridge will continue to be a place where people come to know the Savior.

2 comments:

Dave and Gina said...

My sister Anita was in Stake conference there when the fire broke out. At first she thought it was kids playing with the fire alarm, but then when they were walking out, they smelled the smoke. I'm glad that everyone made it out ok. She said it's already brought missionary opportunities, with the other churches in the area offering assistance. So, some good things have already come out of it.

Sarah Stout said...

I just barely heard of this right before I read your post. My heart goes out to you and those who have worshipped at this church, but like you and Dave & Gina said, I know that good things will come of this. My thoughts are with you.