Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Project 337


Project 337. 400 E. 337 S. Salt Lake City, UT.

This is pretty much my favorite thing ever. So the story (as heard on NPR)-- a couple owned this derelict office building and weren't sure what else to do with it but tear it down. Instead, they wanted to build some energy efficient condos (a noble pursuit). But, before they tear it down, they have a brilliant idea (ok, not their own, but one that they had seen and fallen in love with on a recent trip to new york). Donate the building to local artists to paint however they choose, open it up to the public for viewing for two weekends, and then tear it down. So they contacted the Salt Lake arts community and 130 or so artists take over the building for months, covering every square inch-- literally, the ceilings, floors, closets, even the refrigerator had something in it (at least I think the plate of meat was conceptual art-- although it may have just been leftovers from a Saturday night party). They opened it this last weekend to the public and it will be open for one more weekend before its demise.

Let me tell you why I love this so much. I love this idea of tons of artists coming together to create something. i love that they took over an entire building and used ALL of the space in such creative and thoughtful ways. I love the colors and ideas and unity of the place-- so many artists and yet it all feels like part of the same thing. I love that it is all art inside and outside. I love the colors. I love that is is temporary-- that so much thought and work was put into something that will be torn down-- somehow, though it makes me sad that this will soon be gone, it also makes it that much more intense of an experience. I have to capture it all in my memory and heart and camera because it will not just become an establishment, but a brief, fleeting, beautiful moment in the history of Salt Lake. And I had the unusual opportunity to take part in it.

Thank you artists of Project 337.

No comments: