Friday, May 25, 2007

Nesting Instincts

Ikea opened here this week. People waited in line for two days to get in on opening day. They slept in tents. Crazy. I went today with my co-worker, under the guise of looking for desks and possibly a brochure holder (perfect way to spend a Friday morning away from the office). Due to the excitement of the new Ikea store, roads were blocked by police officers, and security was tight, presumably to prevent the mobs of mommies wreaking havoc on the building by tearing it to pieces brick by brick, throwing them at others to get the last $149 oak bunk beds (real beauts I tell ya!). Even parking was enforced by a rather tyrannical woman whom we shall call "Helga", but we managed to pull one over her and sneak into a close spot by the doors with my co-worker telling the parking overly-enthused parking attendant that I have a broken toe. I did not, but managed to put on a rather convincing pained grin. Hey, we didn't want to waste our energy crossing the parking lot when there was so much ground to cover inside!

Enter the Wonderland of Ikea! Oh the tables and chairs and lamps! Oh the sofas and curtains and BEDS! Wonder of wonders. Now, i know that Ikea isn't considered so high class, but for a girl who owns exactly two bookcases from DI and a donated desk, this was wonderland. And in my price range too. I wandered around, giddy, sitting on things hard and soft, touching the wood and the cushions, laying on beds and coveting the tall rows of bookshelves.

And then the nesting instinct hit. All of a sudden, I wanted to own a house. I wanted to put in cupboards and design rooms, I wanted to store things in storage boxes (they fit under the bed! or in the closet! stackable!), I wanted to pick patterns for plates, I wanted to put up curtains and live in a neighborhood and, yes, even have little babies to sleep in the tiny wooden beds with Scandinavian flower print sheets! All of it! I want a home!

The saddest part is, I am moving from my current abode so I can't even buy little things because I don't want to cart them to New York. And once in New York, I'll be in a shoebox apartment for two years. And then who knows where I'll be after that! My heart aches at the thought that it will still be a number of years before i can own a little house, with a garden, and pretty curtains. And maybe even a dog to take on walks. What has happened to my lovely nomadic lifestyle? I blame you, Ikea.

3 comments:

Sarah Stout said...

Ikea can be amazing in many ways... the selection, the unique finds, the exceptionally reasonable prices, and yes, occasionally even the nesting instinct comes as a part of the whole experience. Who knew the Ikea would cause SO much excitment to little, ol' Utah?! Granted... I guess I should have figured given the nature of the people who live in that state! :)

Sarita said...

Aahhh, nesting. I've been feeling it for awhile now. Definitely a natural tendency. We are not meant to be forever transient people. Which is why I finally started thinking it okay to buy stuff for my home or apartment or whatever (and why I love my current dwelling so much...feels much more homey). So have fun turning your small space in far away New York into your very own. And for now....dream big.

Left-Handed said...

I found your blog through Sarita! I am putting off visiting Ikea for as long as I can handle it. When I go there, I just know that all the cheap furniture will woo my checkbook.