Thursday, February 4, 2010

L-L-L-Love

Hey kiddos.

So, i haven't been blogging much lately because I've been wrapped up in other projects.

Most specifically, Love. A little obsessed, one could argue, but I'm enjoying it. I've started doing some serious research on the topic and am actually learning quite a bit-- I can recommend Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert about marriage and I recently picked up Us: Americans talk about Love by John Bowe (You know, the bachelor obsessed with love that was profiled in the NYTimes and is now flooded with letters from women going gaga for him. Truth be told, I actually went to a reading this week for the book, for purely scientific reasons, and I really enjoyed some the the stories he's collected. Yes, it is hot that he collects love stories. Yes, he is a very attractive male who lives in NYC. And yes, even hotter is the fact that he wrote about slavery. But no, he isn't my soul mate, although I wouldn't mind picking his brain about the love stories he collected).

As you can tell, the Love Story Thief podcast is coming along. I've had some great interviews recently that I'm looking forward to posting for your listening pleasure. If anyone is interested in being interviewed too, let me know! I'm finding myself really excited about this project (as I tend to get) and I'm really trying to find ways to make this more accessible to people-- basically, I want a following! So, just a shameless plug, for Valentine's day, pass along the website www.thelovestorythief.posterous.com or suggest that people subscribe to it on iTunes (free! what a great Valentine!). I've also registered it on Public Radio Exchange (PRX.org) with the hope that it gets picked up by some radio station... to help me out you can register for free and listen to it there, so it gets more hits and all. I'm okay with audio stuff but not so hot with the visual, so bear with me while i try to find a good layout and platform for it. If you have any suggestions, let me know!

Finally... I can't just listen to love stories without getting involved a little bit. No, no relationship here (trying, really!), but along with my friend Josh, we have created a Blind Date Valentine's Eve Project for all of the single Mormons that we know in NYC, in an attempt to increase their exposure to each other (and thus more relationships, etc... I've had just about the last conversation with someone about there not being anyone to date so hopefully this solves something at least). Josh is a wedding photographer and you know that i collect love stories, so we couldn't help but try to play cupid just a little bit. Cross your fingers that someone hits it off!

That's all for now. I'll keep you posted on more, exciting developments. And yes, I am also working, I haven't let that slip through the cracks (although sleep has seemed like an unnecessary burden...)

Share some love stories with me! I'm all ears these days!

5 comments:

Alanna said...

I just found my friend's story of how she met her husband and I thought it was great-- check it out here:

http://writingfishbowl.blogspot.com/2007/07/how-i-met-my-spouse-jamies-challenge.html

One of these days I'll post my own on my blog. Maybe for Valentine's Day? (But if I do, I'm going to blame you for asking!)

Also, there was a great blog post on The Apron Stage, http://theapronstage.com/2009/05/29/how-we-stayed/

Enjoy!

Brenica Monirent said...

Suv...if you ever want my unique take on my own love story, just let me know. I'm happy to share. Keep up the awesomeness- I love it. :)

Marjean said...

I'm Maren's cousin and I found your blog by googling "Brooklyn Singles Ward." Jendar is concerned about getting an STD from the blind date project.

suvi said...

Alanna, I love the links to people's stories. Let me know if you write yours out!!

Monica, yes! I want to hear your unique story, i think i could learn so much from love from what you've gone through! next time i'm in utah we'll do an interview!

Jill- oh my, Jendar's got big plans for tonight. We're recommending that people we set up keep it PG, but anything beyond that is up to the two consenting adults present. We claim no responsibility for STDs.

jendar said...

no worries Suvi, i really doubt I will ever et an STD. xo