Saturday, December 26, 2009

The year of the almond

In Finland, there is a Christmas eve tradition which involves rice porridge and an almond. For the annual Christmas eve luncheon, our family makes a huge pot of rice porridge, and from oldest to youngest (sometimes youngest to oldest, depending on the whims of the patriarch) every member of the family scoops a serving into their bowl, without being allowed to peak, because there is a single almond hidden in the pot. The recipient of the almond is promised a year of good luck. For those who are of age and single, it is also supposed to bring a husband or wife. This is of course incredibly coveted and a big drama takes place at the lunch table as everyone peers through their bowls, hoping the almond is in their bowls and then accusing each other of having it in theirs and hiding it. For years, my dad always found the almond and in an attempt to keep us kids from losing interest in the rice porridge, he would hide it until we were stuffed to the gills and then reveal it triumphantly. It is a fun tradition.

I have never, ever gotten the almond. The closest I'd say I thought I came was last year, when the boyfriend I brought home for Christmas got the almond. Of course, it was a lucky year for him, but not so much for me, as we broke up about a week later. Ha, yeah, not so lucky.

Well, this year, I thought, I will be the lucky one and get the almond. I could really use a change in luck in just about everything. I ate my bowl of rice porridge, but the bit of yellow was just some burnt milk. I ate another bowl, and nothing. And then, I lifted up my bowl, and suddenly it was there! The almond. The coveted almond. I looked around, and spotted my brother-in-law Jordan, who had been acting suspiciously and we had been accusing of having the almond wink at me. I fumbled the big reveal, and the truth of the generous benefactor came out, but I think that for all intents and purposes, the almond will still hold magical powers of good luck. And since it now had extra generosity attached to it, I think it is extra lucky. I popped the almond into my mouth, crunch, crunch, and swallow.

And so, dear friends, my year of the almond begins. My year of good luck. I believe in the power of the almond.

4 comments:

Dave and Gina said...

I am SURE you will have good luck! I remember you guys doing that in AZ when we were all little! Fun memories!

Rick said...

This book is a Doane family tradition. Meredith and I read it as little kids and now we are reading it to our kids. The books tell’s how Santa’s elves follow that same tradition. I thought it was something the author had made up, it was wonderful to hear that it is a real tradition and not just something that us crazy Doane’s do on Christmas.

http://www.maurikunnas.net/mauri_kunnas/teokset/translations/en_GB/santa_claus/

Sakke said...

Nyt oli ihan pakko lähettää tämä
(I just had to post this)


http://www.hs.fi/fingerpori/1135251408698

sign at the door says "allergy association Christmas party"

guy says "Jukka got the almond this year"

haha

Lucky new year!!

suvi said...

Rick, of course the book has an almond, the author is one of my favorite children's authors!

and sakke, I love the link to the comic. Ha! We were actually talking about nut allergies this christmas. Certainly glad I don't have one!