Tuesday, July 28, 2009

when I grow up, I want to... beg for money.

This week, i've decided that I do want to be a development officer (aka, fundraiser) because it would be useful for any further positions in the nonprofit sector. Sure, it may have something to do with the fact that that is the ONLY thing people seem to be hiring for these days. But I really do think it would be useful, especially right now, since I just finished up creating a fundraising plan for WOW, and I can honestly say that 1) it was kind of fun and I'm excited to see it put in motion, and 2) I wish i knew what I were doing. Now to just figure out how to word a cover letter that would help me sell my complete lack of experience in this area to an organization that wants someone with 3-5 years of experience.... hey, if I can't sell myself, how on earth am i going to manage to beg for money from potential donors?

If anyone has any experience creating a fund-raising plan, give me a holler and i'll send this one to you to take a look, I could use some help!

I went to the library and checked out a stack of books on the topic. By golly, I'm going to be an expert at this. Or at least able to use the right words. I figure i might as well gain a useful skill of sorts while i'm doing this whole job hunt thing. i can't always be meeting friends for brunch in Williamsburg. Although, it was rather delightful to catch up with Elly and tales of her wedding, and to ride through Hassidic jewish Brooklyn on my bike.

I'm on LinkedIN, come find me and be in my network!

4 comments:

Ellyn Canfield said...

It was delightful!
And motivating.Next week, we will get to work over lunch!

Alanna said...

My oldest sister does fundraising for Stanford (and before that for Cornell University Hospital in Manhattan). I'd be happy to give you her info if you want it!

laura said...

please tell me that WOW doesn't stand for "world of warcraft." i must be highly unsophisticated to be posting this.

suvi said...

ha! i don't think World of warcraft needs any fundraisers, they do just fine on their own. It stands for Worldwide Organization for Women. which is just too long to write out sometimes.

and Alanna, i would LOVE to be in touch with your sister. I ran into Tracy on Sunday at a party, she looks great!