Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I will find a job, yes I will

Guys, this job hunting things is.... well, I'm not going to lie, it is a challenge. I'm not sure that I am doing it right. i know what it is that I want to be doing, but I think that I keep expecting the perfect job to just land in my lap. Which, unfortunately isn't the case.

Yesterday:
- searched on Monster.com: no luck.
- searched on the wagner career website: one possible job at human rights first. researched the org for a while, finding a job as a fellow developing policy for Iraqi refugees, which I would love to do but I don't speak Arabic and don't have 5 years of middle east experience (this is a fellowship! an opportunity to LEARN supposedly!) and decided to apply for the now less interesting job i initially found
-spent hours staring at the word document on my computer screen trying to come up with the right words for a reasonably non-lame cover letter. came up with something but didn't submit it because i now have to find a suitable writing sample.
- went to a picnic b-day party for a cute 1-year-old, became jealous of his accomplishments.
- rode my bike around and around prospect park, willing endorphins to flood my body so i wouldn't be too depressed. nearly swallowed a lighting bug.
- reviewed the LDS employment leads list and emailed a friend who had a lead, even though I am not an MSW and thus not qualified for the job. Email may have sounded slightly desperate.
- blogged until way past my bedtime. Blast! I was supposed to be in bed by 11.

-Started all over again this morning.

Friends, how have you found a job? What am i doing wrong? Am I maybe doing something right? Any words of wisdom here?

7 comments:

Alanna said...

No good advice from my end of things, but I will say that looking for a job IS a job in and of itself. Just keep plugging away and give it time. You'll find something great!

P.S. So insanely jealous of your previous post! Keep enjoying life while you job-hunt! Eat some more blueberries for me!

Sarita said...

Shoot. I feel your pain, I am right now waiting for this assinine HR director to get back to me because I failed to provide a suitable reference for my manager at a company I worked for 10 years ago. That was bought out. And dissolved. And this is somehow my fault. Did I mention that they offered me the job and gave me a start date of last week before any mention of not have checked my references yet?
And I declined another job offer because of that?

Sorry.

I say just apply for anything. Anything to pay the bills and you may need to take anything but if you keep it up, the good job will show up eventually.

Unknown said...

It is great to be reading your blog. Keep up on the job search - in the end it is a combination of persistence and luck. But mainly a hell of a lot of persistence.

But in the mean time enjoy riding your bike.

I'm still thinking about how much food I got at Amore before my flight. Best breakfast I've had in over a year.

Anonymous said...

https://careers.mathematica-mpr.com/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp?time=1248283239626

Anonymous said...

This is a job for you:

https://careers.mathematica-mpr.com/applicants/jsp/shared/position/PrinterFriendlyJobDetails.jsp?time=1248294148486

suvi said...

but i don't want to move to NJ! but it does look interesting... i'm applying for a policy analyst position at the Vera Institute now...

Julie said...

suvi i just found your blog from jess's! some good career websites to check out:
indeed.com
stopdodo.com

and volunteering at a conference is a great way to network and meet potential future coworkers.

very cute blog. i wish i still lived in nyc so we could be friends who ride bikes through the park together. and shop together. and...etc.