Thursday, September 25, 2008

bailout

I just gave my friend Chris an earful about the possible bailout of Wall Street and my desire to see some heads roll. Poor guy, I was just supposed to go over there to bring him some soft foods because he got his wisdom teeth out, so the last thing he probably wanted was my very amatuer, very opinionated viewpoint about the whole thing. I thought about posting it all here, since this is my own personal soap box, but really, i don't have the time or the energy to get into all the details and fact check, so instead, i'm just going to send you to my favorite blog/podcast about this whole thing: Planet Money on NPR. They say it way better than i do and they probably understand it better than i. Seriously, if you are wondering what this whole thing is about and indignent and confused, they will help you be less confused but slightly more indignent that these bankers are trying to get a $700 billion handout (same people who are against welfare because it's a handout to people who aren't working... that 3% of the national budget that goes towards that is huge compared to this...) and they are the same people who put us in this mess in the first place. Anyway, I'm not going to rant and rave about it.

In other news, I'm taking a triathlon class! Yes! I am going to have an AMAZING body. As long as i can keep up with these workouts. The only thing is, that after i go to class, I always want a huge omlete or something equivelent with loads and loads of calories. Maybe I should just go to Burger King for their Baconator (that's for the benefit of those hwo know about the calorie labeling project I was working on).

Peace out.

2 comments:

Sarah Stout said...

I agree with you... I'm also having a struggle with this issue. Yet, at the same time, it has been said that if SOME sort of bailout isn't done, than our economy could crash. I think that our economy could crash if we give $700 billion out too! Hopefully the action taken for this situation isn't too detrimental to our country.

P.S. That's awesome you're taking that class! I need to take a class to get more motivation to work out! Let me know how it goes...

Cammie said...

I hear ya Suvi. I just don't get how people could be so supportive of this and I really enjoyed your post. I was also surprised this weekend while watching BBC news where a commentator was defending the bailout in the US for the economy here. His rational was that banks need to have money so that they trust each other to exchange money. . .He made a point but in my opinion it was NOT good enough. Banks need to earn trust. They haven't done that and are now getting a bailout.

I also appreciate your welfare comparison. It is so right on. The republican party has a lot of nerve.

I'm going to put a link to your post from mine if you don't mind.