Thursday, October 9, 2008

Is this Pro-Life?

I read a great Nicholas Kristof op-ed today in the New York Times about the U.S. cutting birth control supplies to Marie Stopes International clinics in Africa. Not only is this a terrible, poorly thought out policy, it is takes the family planning movement back decades and increases illegal abortions. I've been to Africa, I've been to clinics, and I've talked to women about family planning and their access to birth control. And I can tell you, it isn't all that accessible, but it is oh so necessary for women's health.

I don't have time to get into it much more than that, but read the article. And take a look at the policies of the presidential candidates when it comes to women's health and empowerment. I'm not saying advocate abortions for everyone or anything like that, just that we NEED sex education, access to contraceptives, and good policies and leadership if we really want to reduce unwanted pregnancies.

2 comments:

Sarah Stout said...

After teaching in high schools, middle schools, and junior highs in three different states, I DEFINITELY see the need for safe sex education. Kids are going to have sex whether or not we teach them how to be safe. Teaching them how to be safe only helps these kids KNOW what the risks are and what they're getting into before it happens.

As far as cutting birth control supplies to other countries... I totally agree that those countries SHOULD have birth control available for ALL women. However, what I'm left wondering is, should the US be the main supplier of these contraceptives? I didn't make our country's budget and neither did you. Could you or I do it better to include money for contraceptives to other countries without cutting out necessities for people in our own country?

I think the debate isn't so much about the fact that it was cut, but the fact that unless taxes are consistently increased to keep up with inflation, some items must be cut. Shouldn't we be helping these countries to support themselves, rather than providing everything for them? I know that teaching and implementing these ideas take time, but it's like the old adage: "Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll eat for a lifetime." I have seen that work being done in Africa by my own friends, but what about our country or other countries for that matter? Rather than just providing contraceptives (and other materials) for them, our focus should instead be to determine a way to help them provide it for themselves.

Abby said...

Fancy meeting you here!
By the way, I am intimidated to comment on your very intellectual, adventurous, full of diverse experinces blog...you look fabulous, by the way.