Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Baby sister and the diamond ring

So I got an email the other day from a young man, wondering, hypothetically, how he would go about making sure that a diamond was conflict-free, you know, just in case he was thinking of buying one. This young man happens to be dating my little sister Vilja. And he gave her a diamond ring tonight.

(momentary pause to freak out. I'm freaking out. AHHHH! SO AWESOME! CRAZY!!)

Okay, now that is out of my system. It is kind of surreal, that my little sister is getting married. This is the same girl who I shared a room with and would always convince our mom that she was too little and sleepy to help us clean the mess that she had made, and then, with the door closed, would pop up in bed and say "Clean faster girls!" and laugh at us. This is the same girl who we could always convince to go get stuff for us because she "had the youngest legs"-- as if the rest of us were crippled or something with broken hips! This is the girl who I played barbies with and orphans (yes, we always played orphans, and it was always during wartime) and all sorts of things. This is a girl with giant seal eyes that make you give in to anything for her.

Doesn't she sound like such a little baby and way too young to get married? I suppose that this is also the girl who is an incredible writer and soon to get her BA in English from BYU. And also the same one who just came home from a wonderful mission to Estonia. And a girl completely capable and gifted at everything, including being nice and sarcastic and funny and spiritual and serious at just the right moments. Of course she's getting married. Jordan would've been a fool to let her go, and Vilja has always had such a good head on her shoulders that she wouldn't waste her time with someone who wasn't worth it.

I'm glad Jordan is no fool. I'm sure he has no idea what he is getting into, marrying into our Hynynen clan (bwahahahahaha!). I'm glad that when my baby sister called and told me that she is engaged, she said that she is going to have the best life ever because they have so much fun together. I'm glad she gets to marry her best friend. What a beautiful world.

Now, being the older sister, you may wonder if I am not just slightly jealous, as I sit here alone, well on my way to being an old cat lady. Of course I am, who wants to be alone? But, that feeling doesn't get much attention when I am so thrilled about Vilja's wedding, and realizing how incredibly happy I am in my own amazing existence in this beautiful life.

Congrats, Twiga!

7 comments:

Sarita said...

There is something inherentely unique about watching your baby sister get married. Sure there is a twinge of "my little sister is moving on to marriage before me", but there is a lot more emotion involved.

My little sister and I are very close, and I was a whole mess of emotion when she wed over 2 years ago. Was so happy for her (as her marrying Matthew was a great thing) but also bitter sweet as someone else had taken my place as the most important person in her life. Someone else suddenly took priority as her confidant and best friend.

All in all it's wonderful, but I can relate. Congrats to your baby sis.

Chris said...

no old cat ladies I know work with the United Nations... with that said, I really like the visual of you being a crazy old cat lady. Will you please become one?

Dave and Gina said...

Vilja is engaged?!?! Yay for her, but wow, I feel OLD! tell her I said Congrats!

-Gina

Cammie said...

I could see you more as Cat Woman with an electric outfit and super powers. If fact, are you the real Cat Woman? I think you are!

I remember when Bridget got married-- looking back I know it was harder for me than I realized. She was MY sister and getting married. . .but it was all beautiful. After she was married she was still my sister that I looked up to so much.

charles said...

Sexy CatLady!

--and you do have Cat Eyes.

Sarah Stout said...

Wow, Suvi, that's awesome! Interesting that I should read this blog right now because I spoke for the first time last week with my baby sister's boyfriend and soon-to-be fiance. Pretty sure I've been dating my boyfriend nearly 1 1/2 years longer than she's been dating her boyfriend, but crazy that she's getting married first! (We actually might have a double wedding... we'll see what happens.) Anyway, I hope that everything is going well for you in NYC. Drop me a line sometime and thanks for writing blogs!

Ellen said...

Suvi,

If you're an old cat lady then I want to be one too, even though I've got 15 years on you. You're one beautiful woman, and I'm so proud of all you've accomplished.