Wednesday, February 13, 2008

weird how this american life is in my head.

The latest episode of This American Life consists of Ira Glass going to the Onion, which happens to be the location where the Ira Glass boy does some work. The episode also consisted of an interview with two Mormon missionaries in New York City, and I just happened to be a Mormon missionary at one point, and now live in New York. It also consisted of a story of a teenager who read tarot cards for booze (which I didn't do, but could've maybe if I had been born in the 1960s. maybe) and a story by Malcolm Gladwell, whose book "Blink" I have been thinking about reading. Coincidence? I think not. Uncanny how the radio knows my life.

Speaking of which, i'm going to put in a few plugs for my favorite podcasts. For the politically inclined moments on the subway, i tune into the Slate political Gabfest. I really like their half-hour commentary on the current political landscape, and the hosts don't take themselves too seriously.

Another top fav is RadioWest. This is a radio show on the NPR station in Salt Lake City, and i love this program not just for the really engaging interviews and soothing voice of host Doug Fabrizio, but also because it keeps me in touch with the going-ons in Utah-- what went down with the school voucher program, reaction to Sister Beck's General Conference talk about women in the church, and local artists speaking out, along with pertinent national happenings.

A few years ago I got addicted to PRI's Studio 360 and would count a Sunday afternoon that I ended up in the car listening to the radio truly lucky if I managed to catch it. After getting my ipod, that was one of the first shows that I downloaded. I have not regretted it. Just this week I listened to a truly magical program about Nicholas Tesla and mad scientists. This is what radio is about-- transporting you from your shopping at Banana Republic to a secret mountaintop laboratory in Colorado. Every time I listen I learn something about art, music, books, and everything creative. It is inspiring.

Last, but most certainly not least, is my latest collection and current obsession-- WNYC's Radiolab. Part science, part storytelling, all amazing. And that is an AMAZING to the level three. Listening to this show makes me forget about being cold and late to things. They had a show about sound that made me take my heart out and hand it over to them on a platter.

i. heart. podcasts. so. there.

1 comment:

Arturo said...

they could not have picked two better missionaries for the session. the whole thing about picking up the "brother" Sister" from Bronx was great too.