Wednesday, October 10, 2007

study break!



I spend most of my time studying. Yes, here i live in a fabulous city, and my nose is usually in the books. It is amazing how much time can be spent reading things, and doing homework, and in study groups and lectures and more study groups and more
homework and sleeping and buying furniture and more study groups and happy hours at the local bar to make some new friends to form study groups with. These next two weeks are going to be spent even more inundated with numbers and words because I have exams coming up. Yikes!




But that is all beside the point of this post, because what I want to write about is my study break this last weekend! Hurrah! I had a friend in town and so I studied really really hard last week so I could play this weekend. What a treat to finally explore my neighborhood and simply relax and soak up Brooklyn and the warm weather and the delightful company of my friend.

My neighborhood has a lot of Chassidic Jews, and for the Sukkoh holiday they were all over the place asking people if they were Jewish. I really wanted to say yes so i would get invited over for dinner in the little palm hut they eat in for the week, but alas, I had to settle for a good long conversation with this guy instead.


I have a fountain close to my house. It is a statue of humans versus mer-people and I think that the merpeople are winning.

I went to the MoMA and got to soak in some of the most famous works out there. You may share with me in looking at the pictures.




I'm not all that impressed with starry night, but maybe that is just because too many people have it as a poster and I want to feel too cool for it. If i'm totally honest, then I'll confess that there is something about it. I just expected it to be a lot bigger.



Damian hanging out outside of the MoMA, which he finally got to go to after many mishaps.


Here is my roommate and friend Emily. We went to this totally adorable little French cafe for dinner the other night. It was so cute! And it is just down the street from me. I love this neighborhood!


okay, now back to the books.

3 comments:

Cammie said...

What a fun weekend! My dad was just in New York visiting my aunt and he said the weather was even better than California. So great.

I love all your photos and I know what you mean about not being impressed with a famous work of art after so much hype. I felt that way when I first saw the Mona Lisa and I still feel kind of bad about admitting it. I think it was just the size. But yes, it is quite amazing. . . her eyes just kept following me. :0) (I didn't really get close enough to tell but in the copies I've seen close up that was the case). he he.

charles said...

Yes, yes, I agree with you about Van Gogh (and cam about the Mona Lisa). And I do think that it's the accessibility of it that makes it "wah-wah"....we've seen this before....on our VT's apartment wall at the Riviera in Provo.

Damian said...

you guys don't know the first thing about Van Gogh.


Or even the second thing.



But I totally agree about the Moaning Lisa (wtf, she isn't even moaning???)

Suvi forgot one thing, the panamanians. I don't know how she could forget the panamaniacs that were drumming in the street.